In light of the terrorist attacks that took place on 9/11, many states have started implementing the REAL ID. This new type of identification card is used to create a standard across the United States and makes it harder to create fraudulent IDs. The state of Montana has already taken steps that prevent fraud and secure your identity, and many citizens will find that applying for a REAL ID is not that different than applying for a Montana driver’s license.

Do I Need a REAL ID?

If you recently acquired a new Montana driver’s license, you may be wondering if you need to replace it with a REAL ID. Currently, the state of Montana is still accepting Montana licenses until June 1, 2019. However, by May 3rd 2023, you will be required to have a REAL ID if you plan to fly domestically and/or enter federal facilities.

In addition to allowing you to fly domestically and enter federal facilities, another benefit of the REAL ID is personal security. In order to apply for a REAL ID, you will need to provide numerous documents proving your identity, ensuring that nobody will be able to pass your identity as their own. As a result, the REAL ID is beneficial for both national and personal security.

Accepted Documents

When you apply for your REAL ID, you will need specific documents to prove your identity and residency in Montana. With that in mind, the documents currently accepted by the Montana MVD include:

  • Proof of name, date of birth, and authorized presence (provide ONE of the following)
    • Certified US birth certificate
    • Certificate of Naturalization
    • Valid unexpired US Passport and be verified by USPVS
  • Social Security Number (Provide ONE of the following)
    • **Proof Must Show Full SSN**
      • Social Security Card (not laminated)
      • Non-SSA-1099 form
      • W-2 form
      • Pay stub
      • SSA-1099 form
  • Montana residency (provide TWO of the following)
    • Valid Montana credential
    • Phone bill
    • Utility bill
    • School transcript or report card
    • Vehicle registration or title
    • First-class mail with postmark
  • Documentation of name change (Provide ONE per name change)
    • Certified marriage license
    • Certified divorce decree
    • Certified certificate of marriage
    • Certified dissolution of marriage

If you have any questions about the REAL ID, please contact MVD Express in Billings, or visit the Montana REAL ID page to learn more about the requirements, costs, and more.