As a new resident of Montana, your first priority may be unpacking your boxes and getting settled in your new home and workplace. However, once that is done, there are a few other tasks that you will need to complete before you can officially call this state home. Luckily, MVD Express is here to help you with exchanging your out-of-state license, registering your vehicle, and so much more! We are a proud part of the Billings community, and we work hard to provide all of its residents with the MVD services they need. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to give us a call or stop by our location!

Obtaining Your Montana Driver’s License

One of the first things you will need to do when you become a resident of Montana is to exchange your out-of-state license for a Montana driver’s license. At MVD Express, we make this process easy! To obtain your new license, you will need to apply for your license within 60 days of moving to Montana. Stop by MVD Express, and our friendly staff will help you tackle the rest.

Required Documents

Unfortunately, obtaining your Montana Driver’s License isn’t as simple as visiting the closest MVD and talking with our dedicated staff. When you visit the facility, you will need to provide documents that prove your identity, your residency in Montana, and your authorized presence. In Montana, we accept the following documents:

Proof of Identity — You will need to provide two documents from the primary category, or one document from the primary category and one document from the secondary category.

  • Primary
    • A color photo driver’s license or ID card (Out-of state license transfers must present the current, valid driver’s license)
    • A certified birth certificate
    • A valid, unexpired passport
  • Secondary
    • An original U.S. social security card
    • A certified marriage certificate

Proof of Montana Residency

  • A certified copy of school records from the school the individual is currently attending or has attended within the past four months
  • An original copy of a rental agreement signed by the landlord that includes the individual’s name and address
  • A current vehicle or life insurance policy

Proof of Authorized Presence

  • A valid, unexpired passport issued by the U.S. Department of State
  • An original certified birth certificate issued by a U.S. jurisdiction
  • A valid, unexpired passport card issued by the U.S. Department of State

Military Personnel

For members of the military or their spouses, there are different rules that apply when obtaining a Montana driver’s license:

  • Military personnel who are stationed in Montana and have a license that has been issued by another state do not have to obtain a Montana driver’s license as long as they are not employed, except as a member of the armed forces.
  • Military personnel who have obtained a Montana driver’s license prior to entering the armed forces may continue to use their Montana license until up to 30 days after an honorable discharge.
  • If the spouse of a military member stationed in Montana has an out-of-state license, they will be required to obtain a Montana driver’s license if they get a job. Their new driver’s license must be acquired within 90 days of being employed.

Stop by MVD Express Today!

Obtaining your new Montana driver’s license may seem like a task you would rather save for later, but at MVD Express, we strive to make your life easier with friendly customer service and consistently short wait times, allowing you to get back on the road in no time! If you’re ready to trade in your out-of-state license, then stop by MVD Express in Billings, or give us a call if you have any questions regarding the documents needed to receive your license.

We look forward to seeing you soon!